21Jul14 Westford Fire Logo

Man Grills in Garage, Ceiling Fire Actually Lightbulb, and Odor in the Abbot School

The following are highlights from the Westford Fire Department log for the week of Sept. 1 to 7, 2014

Sept. 1, 5:10 p.m. – A significant amount of smoke was spotted from a home on Carolina Lane, although it was just a gas grill in the backyard. There was no immediate danger.

Sept. 3, 3:03 p.m. – Crews were dispatched to the Abbot School after an odor was reported.

It was determined that the odor was from an overheated ceiling fan motor, which was shut off.

Sept. 3. 8:21 p.m. – Firefighters stopped a man on Navajo Terrace from using a propane grill in his garage, advising him to move it outside.

It was not disclosed why he was using the grill inside.

Sept. 5, 7:40 p.m. – A resident on Tadmuck Ln. reported a fire within their ceiling.

However, it was determined the fire was actually just a ceiling light and power to the light was shut off.

Sept. 6, 5:52 p.m. – Firefighters investigated Buckingham Drive after a possible fire believed to have been caused by a lightning strike.

No fire was found, but a neighbor told firefighters his house may have been struck.

It was not, but there was a tripped circuit breaker on site which was reset.

There was another lightning-related false alarm earlier in the day on Coldspring Road.