Last week, Superintendent Bill Olsen announced that after further discussion with school administrators, there will be a “phase-in” period for the school department’s new volunteer fingerprinting policy.
Under the phase-in, field trips where a staff member is present still take place between now and Dec. 31, 2014 with volunteers who only have a CORI check, as previously required.
All volunteers will require a fingerprint to chaperone field trips after Jan. 1, 2014.
The following field trips don’t fall under the phase-in.
- All Overnight Field Trips chaperones
- All offsite field trip chaperones that could require a chaperone to be separated from staff members (example museums). This determination is @ the discretion of the building principal.
- Grade 5 Environmental Camp
- Ski and Snowboard Clubs
- All athletic coaches, assistant coaches and volunteer coaches
- All onsite tutors and offsite tutors who are currently listed as available tutors on the WPS web site.
More information is available on the school department website.