After appearing 12 times on the Planning Board agenda, the Kinloch Drive sub-development appeared for a 13th time on Monday in what marked an end and a new beginning.
Developer David Guthrie requested one last continuation on the afternoon of March 21, just hours before the board was set to ultimately deny the application for the three house project following an earlier meeting where several needed waivers had been denied.
During previous hearings, neighbors had also voiced concerns on the project relating to safety and its impact to the character of the town center.
On Monday, Attorney Douglas Deschenes told the board that Guthrie recognized the three house proposal was unlikely to be accepted and instead wished the application be withdrawn so a new proposal with only two homes could be submitted.
Although the board did not voice support or opposition for a two home proposal, the general sense of the board was that it was enough of a change to warrant new hearings.
“If it was reduced to two, it’d be a different project altogether,” said Planning Board Chairman Dennis Galvin.
No timetable was announced during the meeting for submission of the new proposal.
The project arose following the sale of 64 Main St., a more than 20-acre piece of land better known as the Agnew Property.
In 2014, the Board of Selectmen voted not to use their right of first refusal related to a restriction on the sale of the property and in return Guthrie allowed the town to keep the majority of the property as conservation land, selling a significant portion of the parcel to the town for $1.
Since that time, Guthrie has obtained an easement through 66 Main Street to access what is left of the property, creating a path parallel to Wheeler Lane directly across from the entrance to the Roudenbush Community Center.
Disclosure: WestfordCAT is neighbors with Wescon, Guthrie’s development company.
Correction: Guthrie has not obtained an easement. A right-of-way for one dwelling on 64 Main St. going through 66 Main St. was issued in the 1960s.