The following was submitted by the Westford Kiwanis. To submit your own content, e-mail [email protected]
The Westford Kiwanis is looking for volunteers to help with our upcoming Apple Blossom Festival. This is an annual festival that supports a full time carnival. The festival began here in Westford in 1935. It continued until the beginning of World War II. The Westford Kiwanis revived this festival in 1968 and we have been instrumental in making it a yearly event ever since. In recent years the Apple Blossom Festival has become a much larger event. As a result, we rely on a number of volunteers to make this event possible.
The largest need for volunteers is in the area of parking cars. We need help in directing and parking cars in three different areas of the Abbot School. All parking is under adult supervision. You must be 16 years or older to help us with this task. If you are interested please go to SignUpGenious at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f48a9af29aaf58-apple: and choose a time slot or two. Check in to the Kiwanis booth at the Festival upon arrival. There you can sign up for a raffle prize, get your assignment along with a reflective vest and flashlight.
We also need volunteers for other activities during the five day festival. Our needs change day by day although the major needs come on Saturday morning during the parade.
Areas where volunteers can help other than parking are as follows:
Wednesday May 11 through Sunday May 15
Kiwanis booth: assist Kiwanis member in registration and information each night/day
- runners” each night at the field for flashlights and water to parking attendants
Friday May 13
battle of the bands judges (3 or 4 )
float decorating Friday PM and Sat AM
- helping in the background during the Battle of the Bands
Saturday May 14
- help place position flags, early in the morning, for Floats and groups participating in parade
- help coordinating Queens at the beginning of the parade and at ceremony
- help in photographing the Parade
- help in cleaning up parade route in the afternoon
- carry Kiwanis Banner in the Parade (2 people needed)
- help in directing people from the parade to the Queen crowning ceremony
Sunday May 15
help with cleanup after festival is over
If you have any questions or are interested in volunteering for any of these tasks other than parking cars please send and e-mail to Bo Budinger at [email protected] Please check the Westford Kiwanis website at : http://westford.org/kiwanis/ for times and last minute changes