The following was submitted by the Westford Toastmasters. To submit your own content, e-mail [email protected]
Should homework be abolished? That is the question to be debated at a special community debate run by kids on Wednesday, June 8th 2016, 4:30 – 6:00 PM at the J.V. Fletcher Library, 50 Main St., Westford, MA.
Gavel Club Speakers, a public speaking group for children ages 9 to 17, runs all year long helping members to speak and lead with confidence. Based on the Toastmasters International non-profit public speaking and leadership program, the club helps members grow their skills in writing speeches, delivering and evaluating them, and practicing leadership – all in a fun environment.
The benefits of debate include:
· Increasing learners’ confidence, poise, and self-esteem.
· Providing an engaging, active, learner-centered activity.
· Improving rigorous higher order and critical thinking skills.
· Enhancing the ability to structure and organize thoughts.
· Enhancing learners’ analytical, research and note-taking skills.
· Improving learners’ ability to form balanced, informed arguments and to use reasoning and evidence.
· Encouraging teamwork.
Gavel Club Speakers meets Every Wednesday, 4:30 – 5:30 PM. This special debate event is free and open to the public. Visit GavelClubSpeakers.org to RSVP and learn more.