Subscribe to our free, daily publication for all your Westford news
Chuck DiDonato stared at the remains of the multi-family house he manages in disbelief. But there was no denying the extensive damage fire had caused just two nights earlier on April 19. The house had been undergoing renovations, according to a notice distributed by Westford Fire Lt. Don Parsons.
At around 10:30 p.m. on Friday, a neighborhood observer reported that flames were shooting out of a second-floor window in the three-story house located at 472 Groton Road.
DiDonato indicated the renovations of the house were close to being completed.
“I was one week away from being able to rent it,” he said as his sister, Joanne DiDonato- Ragwar stood nearby.
“I grew up in this house,” she said.
The house and DiDonato have a history. In January 2018 the Board of Health condemned the three-family building after receiving letters from the renters that the house had had no running water since December 2017, and two of the units had no heat during a string of January days when the temperature dipped below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
“There are a lot of memories here,” said DiDonato-Ragwar.