The following was submitted by Gloria Gilbert of Sustainable Westford. To submit your own news, e-mail the editor at [email protected]
Sustainable Westford 2015 Winter Series presents:
‘Origins’ Film Screening with Post Q & A
Friday, Jan. 9, 2015
Westford Academy, 30 Patten Rd, Westford
Panel includes a dynamic panel of experts including 3 WA Alumni.
Students attending will be automatically entered to win the FREE Door Prize – A Fender Guitar! WA Principal will present the guitar to the winner.
Sponsored in part by the Westford Board of Health and Emerson Hospital
Free. Pre-registration online www.SustainableWestford.org
In the new movie Origins, we get the inside look at how we lost touch with our natural state of well-being. We finally get an explanation of what happened, and how we ended up entrenched in disease. But, more importantly, we get a map on how to get back to our roots, and experience vitality NOW and well into our future.
Dr. Pedram Shojai, OMD, has put together a cutting-edge film that’s visually stunning, and energizing for your mind, body, and spirit. Whether you are just getting started on your health journey, or you are a health and fitness veteran, this movie is going to add something to your life.
About the Panel:
• Ayla Withee, MS, RDN, LDN, CLT is a Westford Academy graduate, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and natural health expert with a Masters in Health Communication from Boston University. She helps women, men, and children overcome their most perplexing health challenges and achieve their wellness goals. She does this by crafting individualized strategies that address the whole body and the underlying causes of health issues. She is the author of the award-winning blog, Eat Simply, and owner of the nutrition private practice and consulting business, Boston Functional Nutrition, LLC
• Helen Fu (CNC, CH, CNHP) is a Certified Chinese Herbalist, nutritionist, and holistic health counselor. Born and raised in China, she has studied Chinese Herbology, Acupuncture, Diet, Nutrition, Iridology, Kinesiology and Environmental Medicine in both the U.S. and China. As one of the few practitioners that truly understand and combine both Oriental and Western holistic healing, Helen specializes in Chinese medicine, emotional healing, nutrition, weight loss, diabetes and cancer.
• Phil Jones is a Local Organic Nutrient Dense farmer, soil specialist and sustainability advocate.
- Chelsea Polevy and Kevin Schiavonne, both are WA Alumni and former SW Interns. Chelsea is a Jr. Environmental Scientist. Kevin is at UVM studying Environmental issues.
In this episode you’ll discover:
• The shocking amount of new chemicals that are introduced into our environment each day.
• Where synthetic chemicals get stored in your body.
• What your mitochondria actually are (this will surprise you!)
• What happens with the health of our communities every time you swipe your credit card.
• How your energy levels impact symptoms of depression.
• How mediation works to influence impulse control (are you going to eat that pie, or not?)
• Why you need to “upgrade” your ingredients and really, really enjoy your food.
• Where the big fear of germs began (and how we’ve taken it too far).
• Why common pesticide-based farming can create nutrient-deficient food.