Get daily Westford text alerts by subscribing here.
If you value this free news please consider making a donation to WestfordCAT through: paypal.com/us/fundraiser/
Members of the Westford Colonial Minutemen invite the community to participate in the 45th anniversary of the Col. John Robinson Trail walk on Patriot’s Day, Monday, April 15th. Established to commemorate the march made by Westford’s minute and militia men on April 19th, 1775, the Colonial Minutemen will depart from the Westford common, the original militia training field, at 5:00am. The 10 mile route to Concord’s North Bridge retraces the steps of Westford’s first Revolutionary War soldiers. After arriving at the North Bridge, participants can join in the annual Patriot’s Day celebrations in Concord.
In the early 1970s, members of the Westford Minutemen researched the most probable route taken by Westford men as they responded to the “Lexington Alarm,” and named it after Westford’s John Robinson, Lt. Colonel of the local minuteman regiment. Robinson is best remembered for his role in helping to lead – along with Concord’s Major John Buttrick and Acton’s Capt. Isaac Davis – the column of minute and militia men whose march toward the North Bridge sparked the now famous skirmish with British regulars.
Starting at the Westford common, the route follows Boston, Carlisle and Old Roads before bearing right onto Blaney Road and then West Street in Carlisle. From there it follows Lowell Road in Concord and turns left onto Barnes Hill Road before reaching the North Bridge. While not an actual “trail,” much of the route remains quite scenic. Those who participate in the trail walk will receive one of the maps, also available from the Westford Museum for a small fee.
Those interested in participating in this year’s walk should contact Dan Lacroix at 692-5198 for the latest details. Participants must come prepared with comfortable walking shoes, water, and snacks, and arrange for a return ride from Concord. Further information and updates on this year’s march can be found at www.westford1775.org.