Get daily Westford text alerts by subscribing here
Free Classes for Retirees from The Learning in Retirement Association, a partnership project with UMass Lowell.
Seniors now have an opportunity to stimulate their intellectual desires and it won’t break the bank. Through its Learning in Retirement Association, UMass Lowell is offering nine two-hour classes in January and February. Learners can just drop in. No registration is required.
The intersession courses are:
1. ‘Ask a Muslim Anything’ – a conversation about faith and experiences in America with Arab-American Robert Azzi.
2. ‘In Search of the 19th Century Frigate La Medusa’ – Join the expedition’s Technical Director, Charles Mazel, PhD as he recounts the events of the shipwreck and the search to find it 170 years later.
3. ‘Brexit, Britain, and the EU’ – Professor John Wooding gives an update on Brexit and likely future developments.
4. ‘The Lowell Mill Girls, Outside the Mills’ – Associate Professor Bridget Marshall talks about the many activities that made up the non-work life of the mill girls.
5. ‘Flight of Remembrance’ – Author Marina Kirsch shares her family’s story of WWII, in Latvia, Poland, Germany and immigration to the USA.
6. ‘Art and Architecture on Campus’ – The early history of 125-year-old Coburn Hall at UMass, the WPA murals, and the current restoration project.
7. ‘eNable Lowell’ – UMass Lowell students present their experience designing and distributing 3D-printed assistive devices to children with limb-differences.
8. ‘What’s the Best Camera? The one you have with you’ – Learn strategies for taking quality photographs while enjoying a family travel vacation.
9. There will be two Book Discussions covering; There, There, by Tommy Orange and The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent.
All intersession programs run from 10 a.m. to noon and will be held in University Suites, Room #106, 327 Perkins Street, Lowell.
For more detailed information about these free classes, dates, locations and parking – www.uml.edu/LIRA residents can click on Course Schedules. Email: [email protected], phone:978-934-3135. Also, on Facebook – www.facebook.com/LIRAatUML